Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spring Race Plan

Sunday is a full-body strength session for me. There is a serious snow storm starting in my neck of the woods today, so I went to the Y early and spent about 45 minutes lifting weights before heading to the grocery. After yesterday's 4.6 miler (at a nice 11:44 pace!), my shin was very sore, but after ice and stretching, it's just a little achy.
I've been struggling, both with running with orthotics and with choosing races for 2011. I have three trains of thought:

 - Run Mercedes Half Marathon in Feb, run the half at Flying Pig in May, maybe run another local half in late May; Run 5ks all summer; run a fall full marathon, either Savannah RnR or Chickamauga Battlefield
 - Run Mercedes Half Marathon in Feb, run the full at Flying Pig or Cleveland in May and enjoy it; Run 5ks all summer; run another full in the fall, either Savannah RnR or Chickamauga Battlefield
 - Run Mercedes Half Marathon in Feb, run the full at Flying Pig or Cleveland in May and hate it; Run 5ks all summer; run two halfs in the fall, Savannah RnR and Monumental in Indianapolis

I'm scared of spring full. I'm scared of a fall full. Part of me doesn't want to reinjure myself, and doen't want to have to rush training to feel like I get everything in by May. Would more halves and better base building help me be more confident in a full? I don't know. All I know is a full (or two) is on the calendar for 2011. Just not sure where.

How do you choose races?

1 comment:

  1. I like to focus on the training, getting my body healthy, and then see what races are around the time. Kinda letting it come naturally. No stress, enjoy the runs! :)
    LC

    ReplyDelete