Thursday, December 23, 2010

Running in cold and snow

I'm working a "split 16" today - 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, off, then 10:30pm to 7:30 am, so my run was nice and short to allow me to get some sleep in the middle. I did two miles in 21.06. It was almost 40 degrees this afternoon, which felt like a heatwave.

Given the upcoming cold front and all blogger dealing with cold weather, I thought I'd put together a post on my tips for running in the winter. I absolutely hate the treadmill, and try run outside in every conidition. Here's what I've learned:
  • Obey the 20 degree rule: dress like its 20 degrees warmer than what it is. Also, the longer or harder the run, the warmer you'll get. I wear more for 2 mile recovery runs that speedwork or long runs.
  • In heavy snow/rain, hybrid trail/road shoes, like my Asics Gel Enduros, provide somewhat better traction that their road counterparts
  • Cover your ears! It's amazing how much more comfortable this makes running when it's breezy
  • Keep sports beans and gummies in a pocket close to your body - they will get stiff from the cold without body heat to keep them warm
  • An insulated bottle, either carried, in a belt, or a handheld, won't freeze like a non-insulated bottle will
  • Change quickly post run. As your body chills, the sweaty clothes will make you feel miserably cold quick. I typically change in the car as soon as I get done.
What's your best advice for winter running?

No comments:

Post a Comment