Given the upcoming cold front and all blogger dealing with cold weather, I thought I'd put together a post on my tips for running in the winter. I absolutely hate the treadmill, and try run outside in every conidition. Here's what I've learned:
- Obey the 20 degree rule: dress like its 20 degrees warmer than what it is. Also, the longer or harder the run, the warmer you'll get. I wear more for 2 mile recovery runs that speedwork or long runs.
- In heavy snow/rain, hybrid trail/road shoes, like my Asics Gel Enduros, provide somewhat better traction that their road counterparts
- Cover your ears! It's amazing how much more comfortable this makes running when it's breezy
- Keep sports beans and gummies in a pocket close to your body - they will get stiff from the cold without body heat to keep them warm
- An insulated bottle, either carried, in a belt, or a handheld, won't freeze like a non-insulated bottle will
- Change quickly post run. As your body chills, the sweaty clothes will make you feel miserably cold quick. I typically change in the car as soon as I get done.