Monday, December 13, 2010

Running sins

There are certain “rules” of smart running that beginning runners hear everyone: in blog posts, running magazines, forums. Things like the importance of cross training, strength and ab work, stretching, icing, and foam rolling. These tasks are supposed to reduce injury risk and improve running performance.
            So I did what any reasonable person would do: I took an “I don’t have time for this – I could be logging more miles approach” to running during training for my first half. Not wise. For my spring training session I have a few goals:
·         Lift at least twice a week
·         Continue to do PT-prescribed stretches daily
·         Stretch after running
·         Cross train twice a week
·         Ice achy spots (shins!)
·         Run quality workouts and easy miles

The other running mistake I made was not following a structured training plan. While I achieved both my goals for my first half (1, Finish, 2, Finish under three hours), I think I’m capable of a much better race. All I did last time was plan my long runs and run however I felt the rest of the time. For my upcoming half and-yet-to-be-decided-upon full, I’m going to come up with a schedule and stick to it.

What running mistakes have you made?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're going to have a plan. I find the best part about doing it that way is that you stay accountable for getting the bigger miles in. Plus, I like being able to cross things off a list.

    You're going to do great!

    Nellie
    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com
    (36 year old fulltime RVer living la vida loca with a cute-butt husband and a stink-butt dog!)

    ReplyDelete