Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dreadmill

I hate the treadmill, so generally I either avoid it like the plague, or try to make my treadmill runs go quickly. I did speedwork on the treadmill today: 1 mile warmup then 2 x800 at 1 mile race pace (8:50 for me). I following this with 20 minutes on the much-more-tolerable elliiptical, then ab work, foam rolling, and stretching. My "long" run, 6 miles, is tomorrow.

When I first started running, I only ran on the treadmill. It was "safe" and no one could see me in the loe-traffic courtside room at the local Y. I was afraid to go outside for a few reasons: 1, I thought my run-walk strategy would make me look ridiculous, and 2, I was afraid of the passerby making fun of a fat girl running.

I did eventually make it outside. And it was, and sometimes still is, scary. But anything is better than the treadmill.

Do you run inside or outside?

3 comments:

  1. Hello and thanks for following my blog! Love your profile pic- my Huz and I are HUGE Disney fans and actually left WDW this year on the day of the Wine & Dine race. It was HOT so good for you for having a great race! I look forward to reading the rest of your blog soon, looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about the 'Mill - so far I've avoided it but this is my first winter running and I'm wondering how low the temps will go before I have to head indoors. So far I've made it through 22 degrees!

    Thanks for following my blog - look forward to following your marathon training! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to feel the same way until I started doing drills on them instead of running at a set speed for a set distance. I MUCH prefer running outside!! And now that the snow is in our rear-view mirror, I'm gonna get right back out there!

    ReplyDelete