Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chilly Hilly Runs!

The sun has been shining in my part of the country, but it has been super cold and windy! After Saturday's 5k, I realized a major issue of mine during races is struggling on hills. Every where I run has some up-and-down to it, but I tend to plan my runs to avoid major "ups". Not anymore! The husband and I had a little time before I went to school last night to get a run in, so we headed to a hilly loop and did 1.76 miles in 18:10, 10:22 mile pace. Even after a run that short, my hamstrings are sore today!
How do you train for hills?

3 comments:

  1. I get on the bike and spinn at high resistance. I have a long hill on my tuesday-thursday run and I alswys try to go up a little faster. Better yet, I sing out loud to mlittle girl in the jy ogger to help build lung power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't! But I need too - I guess I have one route that has more hills, so every once in awhile I throw that in to the mix. I probably need to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hill repeats. Find a sizable hill and then run up half way and down and then all the way and then down. Lather, rinse, repeat :)

    ReplyDelete